The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 38
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
This is the last GGM of 2016, my dears! With the holidays just around the corner, I'm going to be taking a little break to spend time with family (this year will be our last Christmas in my childhood home so, you know, *~feelings~*) and work on a new creative project that I'm super excited about! See you after the jump, kids. xo
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are weaving dreamy art, being radically generous, and making a lot less money than you might think.
[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- It's like highlighter but for your walls: I am truly, completely obsessed with the colour palettes in Amelia McDonell-Pary's hand-woven wall hangings. I think they would make a lovely addition to a room that otherwise needs some warmth, character, and texture (can you tell I've been watching a lot of HGTV?). She also does custom orders![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Bootstraps and borrowed pants: Trust me, very few young people that you think are making bank are actually making bank -- especially entrepreneurs. And that illusion coupled with culty startup quotes like "jump and the net will appear", can lead to people making ill-informed and risky decisions (like quitting jobs with only a half-baked idea to run with) based on half-truths. That's why I so appreciate women like Ilana Ben-Ari sharing their own true stories of the start so openly.[divider type="white" spacing="10"] 2.5 If you like that, you'll also like...Reading through this list of 50 women-run ventures being funded by SheEO's Radical Generosity program! <3[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- It's like a Keurig, but for lube: For some, lube is a fun addition to sex. For others, it's a crucial tool to make it a pleasurable experience. Regardless of how or why you use it, the creators of Pulse, a new Keurig-esque pod-based lube dispensing and warming device, are hoping that you like it better warm. (PS How cool is it that most of the people running the company are middle-aged women?)[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Bowling 4 the cause: My super cool and nice friend Siobhan Özege and several of her cool and nice pals will be bowling in a fundraiser for their local rape crisis centre, and they are actively raising money towards their $2000 goal (approx $7 USD) and every little bit helps![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- This week in crowd funding: There are lots of choices! You could back this tarot deck featuring famous women from history, this online community promoting healthy, pleasurable sex for people with chronic illnesses, or the Beyoncé bible![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Or you could buy yourself this Oscar Isaac zine: I think it's pretty self-explanatory.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- “I'm on the lookout for a clear idea of your audience, and a generosity toward them.” Is a line that really caught my eye on Twitter and made me click on this great interview between Nicole Chung and Jess Zimmerman, in which Jess shares all sorts of great advice-from-an-editor. Read it! Enjoy! And then create! Be brave! And always remember that we want to read your stuff![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A belated GGM community shout-out! Waving hello through the internet to the lovely Irish Zhou of Comeback Mag whose email to me sharing the latest issue (their 1st anniversary issue!!) of her gorgeous magazine got filtered out into my Gmail promo tab! Oops! Thanks for being so patient, Iris! Keep being awesome. And the rest of you, check out her mag! It looks lovely makes a very affordable self-gift to enjoy over the holidays.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: At a minimum, 33 nice things happened this year.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- One last thing before I hand it over to you...Inspired by one of my newsletter idols, I'm sharing with you the link to my Paypal account, should any of you feel so inclined. Not because every project has to be about money (far from it), but because no one is going to die if you mention it. Let's remember that in 2017, k?
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
And now, over to you for real...
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at email@example.com!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.