The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 34
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are decolonizing love, supporting quality journalism for all, and working to dismantle the gender bias in animation.
[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- On decolonial love: I will always remember this piece as the one that made me fall in love with Erica Violet Lee's writing. If you read it and enjoy it, please consider supporting Erica's work.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Gift bags for newcomer moms in Nashville: A group of women in Tennessee are gathering together to create gift bags for mothers who are arriving in their community as refugees. If you would like to help contribute to the project by purchasing a gift item, click here. If you are in the area and would like to help pack the bags, you can sign up for that here. Nice![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A day in the life of a photog/creative/art director/slash: I think it's always neat to peek behind the curtain of a woman's professional life, so I really enjoyed this piece profiling Toronto-based creative Yuli Scheidt.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Into animation but not into gender bias? This symposium on Gender Bias in Animation at CalArts in Valencia, CA on December 9th might just be for you! Can't make it out? You can always follow the symposium's founder's work on Twitter![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A very nautical Christmas: If you're into all things mermaids, you're going to want to check out this holiday card collaboration between blogger Crystal Richard and paper goods wiz Stefanie MacDonald -- the cards are non-denominational and can be purchased online![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Banding together to support journalism and each other: Since the election, there's been a concerted push to get people to back thoughtful, responsible journalism with cold, hard cash. But, of course, there are many folks out there who would love nothing more than to subscribe to the NYT but can't afford to do so. In order to help bridge this gap, Helen Rosner has created a matching service where those can afford to pay for subscriptions can be paired up with someone who can't. You can learn more and sign up here.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Not one but two (!!!) #GGM community shoutouts:
#1: Yesterday afternoon I got an email from Marisa Gallemit telling me about the awesome/hilarious Kickstarter that she and her friend, Taline Jirian, launched to crowdfund the creation of the Morningwood Log Pillow. What makes this pillow unique (aside from the fact that it's a log) is that it has a secret compartment in the middle for you to hide your goodies -- "either sacred or profane", says Marisa.
#2: Earlier in the week, I heard from the lovely Alicia Raciti who wrote to me to tell me about the amazing Patrice Banks, who Alicia describes as a"former materials engineer turned car mechanic and fearless leader of Girls Auto Clinic". Here's what Alicia had to share with me about Patrice:
"Girls Auto Clinic is an organization that aims to empower women when it comes to car care and maintenance. She’s been leading Girls Auto Clinic the last few years by providing car workshops for women in the Philadelphia, NJ, and Delaware. As of today, 11/11, her mechanic shop is open and she is striving to employ female mechanics in her shop and is offering training programs to make that happen."
If you're a car owner, be sure to check out Patrice's Glove Box Guide![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: The best kind of compliment.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.