The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 26
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are couponing for the greater good, getting money to exercise their big 'ol brains, and designing space-age pastries.[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- Meet the MacArthurs: On Wednesday, the MacArthur announced this year's list of fellows. And it has a lot of women on it. Woo! Be sure to go check out their culture-shifting work.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Like that TLC show, but way better: Coupons are an important tool that many families use to make ends meet. But New Jersey-ite Lauren Puryear is taking it to a whole new level and is using coupons to help provide 30,000 meals to her community. You da best, Lauren![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A different look at wellness: This week, blogger/designer/cool person Gabi Gregg (aka @gabifresh) decided to launch a wellness-and-lifestyle Instagram out of interest in the content -- and frustration with the lack of diversity in that space. She hasn't posted anything yet, but you can follow her here.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Ever wonder what kind of cakes an ex-architect makes? The kind with a 3D printer, it turns out! If you're into makers making cool stuff, check out Dinara Kasko's tasty and inventive creations![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Learning to love your sadness...Is something that I'm personally working really hard on, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that. If that's a journey that you are also on, perhaps you might like to check out these rituals designed to help you do just that..[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- It's time to dust off that non-fiction you've been meaning to publish! And submit it to Vela's second nonfiction contest! The contest is only open to women and closes on November 1st. Good luck! [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- In praise of the radical Black feminists of Canada: All too often, the history and present realities of Black Canadians are erased from educational and cultural dialogue -- and artist Naomi Moyer won't stand for it. Check out her beautiful images celebrating radical Black feminists here.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- [TW: Sexual assault] Assaulted on the road: This week, I'm honoured to share with you this piece that a GGM-er wrote about her experience being assaulted while travelling abroad. The piece includes a description of the assault, so please consider that before choosing whether or not to read. We're with you, Ruby.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: Let's not pretend that Justin Trudeau is perfect.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.