The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 16
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are blowing glass, graduating high school, and eating 'round the world.[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- Wtf does an orgasm sound like? That's a question that ad exec Ava Santos and her team at Proximity Madrid are trying to answer with their latest project, the Orgasm Sound Library.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- This is how much it costs to leave your fiancé: A couple of months ago, I shared a link to that piece about the importance of a "fuck you fund", today, I'm passing along a piece that looks at the exact dollar amount that one woman spent to extricate herself from an abusive relationship.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Like a fur coat, except made of glass: ...is the only way I can think to describe this piece by Canadian glass artists Charlynne Lafontaine, which will be exhibited at the prestigious Glass Art Conference in New York this June. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- The state of millenial men: This week in the Washington Post, reporter Danielle Paquette explores the findings of recent quantitative and qualitative research into the lives of young men.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A special dose of #BlackGirlMagic: If you're feeling harried or stressed, let the beauty and the tranquility of these beautiful portraits of Black women enjoying New York parks soothe your soul. Want more? Check out the hashtag on Instagram.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Graduations are soul food: And this gorgeous, inspiring display of joy from young women graduating high school is pretty much guaranteed to put a smile on your face! (Thanks to Girl Gang member Rachel Miller for sharing!)[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Eat your way around the world: Under the guidance of Senior Features Editor Meghan McCarrron, Eater just published a guide to eating around the world. I hope you're hungry! (omg someone please save me from myself/sense of humour) [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Living with Tourette's, IRL: I didn't know this, and you might not either, but we are currently smack dab in the middle of Tourette's Awareness Month, which runs until mid-June. In honor of the campaign, writer Madeleine Holden (perhaps better known as dick pic critiquer @moscaddie), interviewed two women who have Tourette's about their experiences navigating the world with a misunderstood condition.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Meet the pain-management tool pregnant women aren't very familiar with: Special thanks to doula, educator, and writer extraordinaire Carrie Murphy for sharing this piece she wrote for Fit Pregnancy about the ways in which a good, old-fashioned TENS machine can be used as a part of pain management during labor. Awesome![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: Sad Kit Harington is sad.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.