The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 25
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are having lunch together, honoring each others' courage, and giving you the lay of STI land.[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="" margin_bottom=""]
- So you think you might have gonorrhoea: Whether you're really not sure what's going on down there at any given moment, or you're the sexual health mom of your friend group, I'm sure you can learn at least one new thing from Stephanie Rotz's deep-dive on STIs for Sophomore Mag.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- The cost of distracted driving? $250USD, apparently: Just after I sent last week's missive, I got a message from writer, mama-of-twins, and super lovely human Jennifer Chen asking me to share this piece she wrote for Cosmo on the human cost of distracted driving. I know, I know -- some of you might be thinking "another PSA?" Yes, another PSA. Because we still fucking do this and it needs to end now. Tell your friends.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- For Anna the brave: Did you know that there is a super-cool company out there called I Am Elemental (created by a super-cool lady called Julie Kerwin) that makes action figures for kids that personify important qualities like courage and wisdom? Well I didn't but now I do and so do you...thanks to the story of the late Anna Bosma and her passion for the toys.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- This teen ate lunch alone for a year -- and she wants that to end with her: And she's doing it all with an app that she created makes it extra cool, I think![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Ladies making bank at Target! Man, I love when a great product gets picked up by a mass retailer. Big ups to the women at Hello Flo for scoring a placement of their "First Period Kit" on the shelves of one of North America's largest retailers![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- When your dad was a monster to you and then he dies: There's a lot of really fantastic personal writing floating around on the internet -- and there's a lot of mediocre navel-gazing. I can assure you that this essay from Christina Wallace falls firmly into the first category.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Two women, two media companies, two different decisions: I really hesitated to put these two important pieces in the same summary -- lest anyone think I was comparing them -- but I thought it would be helpful to illustrate a bigger point: no two situations are alike, and no two people are alike. And the best decision you can make is the one that is true to your heart. (Not very helpful, I know...)
The two pieces I'm talking about are this one from Chelsea Fagan of The Financial Diet, and this one from Amandah Wood of Ways We Work. Two women working on independent media startups. Two different companies. Two different paths. But a whole lot of honesty, integrity, and hard work shared between them. Thank you to both of you for sharing so candidly, and for all your great work <3[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: We are all Bad Kenneth.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at email@example.com!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.