The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 2
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are making room for boobs, dodging the male gaze, and giving (good) free tax advice.
[divider type="dashed" spacing="10"]
- Buhbye, male gaze: This week, Amanda de Cadenet and a crew of illustrious ladies announced the launch of Girl Gaze, a photography project that hopes to document how girls see the world. In partnership with Teen Vogue, they have put out a call to find the next generation of female photographers. To learn more about the project and how to get involved, click here.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Pathology, possession & the way we talk about schizophrenia: I'm almost afraid to write this description of Esmé Weijun Wang's latest essay for The Believer. I'm afraid that nothing that I say will do this exquisite, brilliantly-crafted, revelatory piece of work justice. So instead I'll say this: please, read it. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- This week in Kickstarters: If you're into giving women your money, you are spoiled for choice this week. Some cool campaigns to pick from include Babe Vibes' fundraising drive to pay contributors, a doula looking to fund a coffee table book documenting birth around the world, and a filmmaker raising capital for her doc on Ursula K. Le Guin. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- 3 cheers for great tax advice! After emptying my bank accounts (yes, plural) in 2014 to pay the taxes on my first year of meagre freelancing income, a mentor of mine took me aside and gave me some advice that changed my financial life: "expense everything". That mantra, along with finding an accountant who understood my needs have made all the difference for my bank balance. But for those of you who don't have a self-employed guardian angel, I offer the next best thing: a conversation about money, taxes, and debt with writers Haley Mlotek and Jazmine Hughes. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Meet Ify, the future of fashion: When I think back to being bullied in elementary school, I recall that my reaction was usually either to fake sick in order to stay home, or, when that plan failed, beg my teachers to let me stay inside and clean the chalkboards over recess. But I certainly didn't think to channel my feelings into the creation of a beautiful, empowering fashion line that debuted at New York Fashion Week. Then again, I guess we can't all be 10 year-old Egypt Ufele. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- There's a new boss in town at ABC Entertainment: This week, Channing Dungey made headlines when she stepped up from her VP role into the role of President at ABC Entertainment. Given her history developing absolute smash hits like "Scandal" and "How to Get Away With Murder", the news of the promotion comes as no surprise. Nevertheless, it is exciting to see a Black woman take the helm of such an influential network (a first across all networks)! [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Attention, writers with child care needs: Submissions are now open for the Family Residency Program at Ryder Farms, which will let you get some work done on your projects while your kids have a ball running around a beautiful farm.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you...
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week's #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at email@example.com!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.