The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 35
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are leading personal revolutions, writing books that will touch your heart, and redefining young women's magazines for the next generation.[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- Please read this first!! Last week I shared a fun Kickstarter that two women from my hometown were running...but I forgot to include the link! Click *here* (for real this time) to buy your own Morningwood Log Pillow.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Give your money to women... And get lovely, inspired gifts for yourself or others in return! May I suggest Chani Nicholas' lovely new astrology ritual candles? Or a clever coffee mug from The Financial Diet? Or perhaps this cats of Morocco calendar is more your speed. And when you're all tuckered out from all that online shopping, snuggle up in these cozy and informative sweats and tees from Savvy Simon.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- On personal activism: A friend of mine recently told me about a documentary recounting the life and times of Black trans activist Miss Major. So it felt really serendipitous when this beautiful animated short featuring Miss Major's words (from filmmaker Reina Gossett) popped up on my Twitter feed a few days later.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Teen Vogue is much more than you remember: Under the guidance of Editor Elaine Welteroth, the magazine of your youth is now putting out gems like this video of Native American girls schooling us all on the origins of Thanksgiving. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Bikes, babies, and breastmilk: What's an NYC-based milk bank to do when a baby is born and desperately needs breast milk, but traffic is a mess? Hire a women's biker society to deliver it, of course. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Buy this book for your local elementary school's library: Author Melanie Florence has already built up a significant body of work, but her most important book might just be the shortest of the bunch. Missing Nimâmâ is a children's picture book about the love between a missing Indigenous woman and her daughter. Learn more about it here. Buy a copy for your local school's library here. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: Goats just wanna be duuuucks. Oh, goats just wanna be ducks.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at email@example.com!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.