The Girl Gang Missives Vol. 30
By Nicole BelangerThe Girl Gang Missives is a weekly report on the badass things that women are making/creating/building/writing.
[dropcap background="no" color="#333333"]T[/dropcap]his week, the women are advocating for accessible rural healthcare, keeping their private lives private, and asking you to #JustSaySorry.
[wc_divider style="solid" line="double" margin_top="5" margin_bottom="5"]
- File under "only in oil country": This week, Lori Dixon and her team launched their latest app, WIMBY, which stands for Wells In My Back Yard. The app helps folks living in areas where heavy resource extraction has taken place to determine the presence of abandoned wells on their property, or flag them for others.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Good Advice From a Bad Mom...Is what you might be lucky enough to get if you submit a question to Lyz Lenz's new parenting column on Jezebel![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Canada, we have some work to do: Canadian reproductive health advocates have been working for some time to get Mifegymiso (aka the "abortion pill") into the hands of those in our country who need it. We're close -- but there are still a few hurdles that we must overcome in order to make sure that it gets approval and that the onerous distribution restrictions currently placed on the drug get lifted so that those who really need it (folks in rural areas, etc) can actually benefit from its approval. Check out the guide to taking action here.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Kerry Washington is more like Olivia Pope than you might think: I really enjoyed reading this piece from BuzzFeed's Anne Helen Petersen about Washington's deliberate choice -- and strategic action plan -- for keeping her personal life private.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Make women rich, or die trying: If you want investment from Molina Niño and her firm BRAVA Investments, your company better disproportionately benefit women. [divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- #JustSaySorry: It's not that hard -- in theory. But yet, a university or college apologizing for the horrendous treatment of sexual assault survivors on their campus is something that rarely happens. Enter Kamilah Willingham and Wagatwe Wanjuki and their fiery (literally) campaign, #JustSaySorry.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- A very "eggcellent" adventure: If IVF and fertility treatments in general are a bit of a mystery for you, you're going to want to tune into the cleverly-named podcast that Doree Shafrir and her husband are hosting about their own experience.[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Lady screenwriters, unite! And apply for this program! The Athena Film Festival is currently seeking applications (deadline: Oct 31) for their IRIS Screenwriting Lab, and are particularly interested in hearing from applicants who hope to tell the stories of female protagonists![divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- My turn! Considering I'm always going on and on about the importance of self-promotion, I thought I would share with you this lovely profile that photographer Jessica Laforet did on me as part of her This Woman I Know portrait series :)[divider type="white" spacing="10"]
- Something giggle-worthy for the road: Libra season is so aggressive.
[divider type="thin" spacing="10"]
Now, over to you…
Want your work, or the work of a friend shouted out in next week’s #GirlGangMissives? Email Nicole at email@example.com!
Nicole Belanger is the founder of Fourth Hour, a collection of original content that celebrates and supports everyday women in their daily lives. She is the author of the ebook On Resilience, the creator of the Conversations With Her interview series and the send-er of the Girl Gang Missives every Friday morning.